Archives are unique records deemed worthy of permanent preservation. To help us ensure the safety of all our archives and their continuing availability for study, the following regulations have been devised. Please read them carefully.
Admission to the Reading Room is by prior appointment with the Library Archives Service only during our opening hours:
10:00 to 13:00 & 14:00 to 16:30 Tuesdays,Wednesdays,Thursdays
- Coats, bags, scarves etc. are not permitted.
- Pencils only may be used for note taking. All ink biros, fountain pens, corrective fluid etc. are prohibited.
- No food or drink or smoking is allowed in the Reading Room.
- Laptops, tablets & net-books are allowed. Mobile phones must be on “silent”. Any scanning device and MP3 players are prohibited.
- Digital photography by researchers is permitted by request, free of charge and on completion of a Reproduction Application form for each item copied. Copying must be done in the Rare Books and Manuscripts Reading Room. Items may not be removed to other parts of the Library for copying purposes.
- Groups of more than three people will not be catered for.
- Items will be handed out individually or in a single file. Large numbers of items will not be given out at any one time, nor can items from separate collection be accessed together.
- Archival material must at all times be handled with great care and must not be marked, folded, annotated or torn in any way.
The Archivist reserves the right at all times to withdraw material from use when such use will adversely affect the physical preservation of the item involved.