The collection comprises X Dun Emer books with Cuala Press books ranging from 19XX-1975. The collection was created initially from items that were part of General Collections.
The collection prefix before the call number is: Cuala Press.
The collection is open.
The Cuala Press was an Irish private press set up in 1908 by Elizabeth Yeats with support from her brother William Butler Yeats. The Cuala Press evolved from the Dun Emer Press which was founded in 1902 by Evelyn Gleeson, Elizabeth Yeats and William Butler Yeats. The Cuala Press (1908-1946) published limited edition works writers including Yeats, Lady Gregory, Colum, Synge and Gogarty.
The Cuala Press played an important role in the Celtic Revival of the early 20th century. It was intended that the new press would produce work by writers associated with the Irish Literary Revival. Cuala Press published 70 titles including 48 by William Butler Yeats.
Cuala Press was unusual in that it was the only Arts and Crafts press to be run and staffed by women and the only one that published new work rather than established classics. After Elizabeth Yeats died in 1940, the work of the press was carried on by two of her long-time assistants, Esther Ryan and Mollie Gill under the management of Mrs. W. B. Yeats.
In 1969 the press was taken up by W. B. Yeats' children, Michael and Anne Yeats, with Liam Miller. Some titles were run in the 1970s.
2023: 15 May - 8 September
Closed: 5 June & 7 August.
We are open to UCC staff and students, and members of the public. For more information about what items must be requested and to request them via the online request form see Request Special Collections & Archives.
If you have any queries relating to our collections please email email@example.com.