The Wyse Collection has been fully catalogued and is listed below.
If you find material relevant to your research, please note the call number(s) and click here to arrange an appointment to visit.
1. 12 April 1386
Decree of Peter [Hacket], Archbishop of Cashel given in the church of Kinsale, recording the evidence of four canons of Cork Cathedral, two other priests of the diocese, and eight burgesses of Kinsale that the rectory of Kinsale belongs to the monastery of Bath, O.S.B. Description follows:
Deed of Piers [Peter] [Hacket], Archbishop of Cashel, Recording than on his metropolitan visitation of the Diocese of Cork, he recorded in the parish church of Kinsale, on 12 April 1386, the evidence of four canons of Cork Cathedral [Master Thomas Went, William Wynchedon, John Whyte and Gerald Corre], two priests of the diocese (Adam O Molgryn and Michael Kenfek) and eight burgesses of Kinsale (Patrick Galvy, Philip Dowagh, David Durragh, William Blankept, Henry Boly, Robert Mancheler, Nicholas Whyte and Thomas Sparhawk) that the rectory of the parish church of Kinsale belonged to the monastery of Bath in England. Witnessed by Master John Penrys and Richard Barry, clerics of the diocese of Cloyne and Cork.
The prefix ‘Master’ was only given to those who had received the degree of Master from a University.
The surname Wynchedon was later transformed into Nugent.
2. 12 April 1389
Notarial instrument issued in the church of Kinsale on the instructions of Peter, Archbishop of Cashel, reciting six charters concerning the rectory of Kinsale and other possessions of the monastery of Bath in Cork Diocese between 1206 and 1388. Description follows:
On the instructions of Piers [Peter, Hacket] Archbishop of Cashel, who in the parish church of Kinsale, during his metropolitan visitation of the diocese of Cork, heard the charters recited below in favour of the Prior and convent of the priory of SS. Peter and Paul, Bath, which he had heard read by Thomas [Seylton], monk of the Benedictine order and proctor of the said prior and convent.
(1) A charter of Horencius, Bishop of Cork, by which he grants to God, SS. Peter and Paul and the monks of the “Black Order” (the Benedictines) of Bath, the church of Kynsale with all its appurtenances. Witnessed by David, Bishop of Waterford; Gilbert, Archdeacon of Waterford [illegible], Archdeacon of Cork; John, Dean of Cork; Richard Magnus [le Grant]; Gilbert [Sweteman]; Roger de St. John, chaplain of the said Bishop [David]; is the prior of St. Katherine’s [Waterford]; and Walter Le Ferrir.
Horencius, [Finghín] Bishop of Cork, was hitherto unrecorded. He must have been the immediate successor of Bishop Murchadh Ó’hAredha, who died in 1206, as David, Bishop of Waterford was killed [by O’Faoláin of the Decies] in 1209. The names of the witnesses suggest that the charter was issued at Waterford.
The description of the Benedictines (the “Black Monks”, to distinguish them from the Cistercians) as the “Black Order” (nigri ardinis) in an official document is interesting.
(2) A letter of John, Dean of Cork, and the chapter of Cork Cathedral, confirming the grants of the church of Kynsale by Horencius, and its confirmation by Mauricius, former Bishops of Cork. Dated Monday after the Feast of the Purification, 1280 (by modern reckoning, 5 February, 1281)
Marinus O’Brien, Bishop of Cork before being transferred to the archbishop of Cashel in 1224, is sometimes called Mauricius in English records.
(3) A charter of Gilbert, Bishop of Cork, by which he confirms to God, SS. Peter and Paul and the Benedictine Priory of Bath, the donations of his predecessor [Horencius] and his donation of the church of St. John the Evangelist next the bridge of Cork. He grants also the ecclesiastical benefices of Culmor and Balyfogleth. Witnessed by Sir Richard de Cogan; Master Gilbert Rufus [le Rous], Dean of Cork; Master David, Archdeacon of Cork; Cornelius, Precentor of Cork; Master Henry de St. Florence; Richard the Chaplain; John the Chaplain; Osbert Niger (Black); Robert Dundon; Richard de Staunton; John Durdon. (The following additional names of witnesses which had been accidentally omitted are entered at the foot of the instrument: Maurice the Chaplain; Jordan son of [Darthe]; Stephen Copiner; Luke Cornubiensis (the Cornishman); Mathew Elich; Syman de Balychat; Elyas the Clerk).
The title ‘Master’ indicates that the person held the degree of Master from a university. ‘Chaplain’ by itself simply denotes a priest.
Gilbert was bishop of Cork 1225-38.
The church (and priory) of St. John the Evangelist stood to the South East of Southgate Bridge, between the bridge and Cove Street. After being granted to William Wyse in 1539 it disappeared from the records of the Dublin administration, which probably explains why from the 17th century on it was constantly confused with the Knights Hospitallers’ church of St. John the Baptist in Douglas Street.
Culmor and Balyfogleth (Ballyfouloo in Monkstown parish) had been granted to the Priory of St. John the Evangelist by King John as Lord of Ireland, before he became king, at its foundation. In 1226 they were being claimed against the Priory by Philip de Prendergast, the secular lord of the district. Since there is no record of [Coolmore] in Carrigaline Parish belonging to the Priory, it is possible that this Culmor was an obsolete name for part of Monkstown. The ‘ecclesiastical benefices’ were the tithes and spiritual dues owed to the church, which again suggest that this Culmor was in Monkstown, whose tithes belonged to the Priory.
(4) Charter of Marinus (O’Brien), Archbishop of Cashel, confirming the donations by Bishop Honencius of the church of St. John the Evangelist next to the bridge of Cork, and those of Bishop Gilbert of the church of Kinsale and the ecclesiastical benefices of Culmor and Balyfogleth. Witnessed by: Gilbert, bishop of Cork; Master Gilbert Rufus, Dean of Cork; Cornelius, Precentor; Sir Richard de Cogan; Master Henry de St. Florence; Jordan son of [Darthe]; Stephen Copiner; Robert de [Keedif]; Mathew Elich, etc.
(5) Charter of Gerald (de Barry), Bishop of Cork, confirming the letter issued by John, the dean and the chapter of Cork (no. 2 above). Dated 10 March, 1388 (by modern reckoning 1389).
Gerard de Barry was bishop 1359-93. Note that in this charter he describes himself as bishop ‘by divine permission and the grace of the apostolic sec’ demonstrating the increased control of the Papacy over the appointment of bishops. Horencius, Gilbert Reginald and Marinus had been simply ‘by the grace of God’.
(6) Charter of Milo de [Cansy], by which he quit claims for himself and his heirs to the prior and convent of Bath and to Thomas de [Duna], their proctor in Ireland, all his rights to the church of Kinsale. Given the common place of Cork, on Wednesday before the feast of St. Laurence the Martyr (8 August) 1274. Witnessed by: Reginald, bishop of Cork; Sir John de Cogan, Sir John le Poer, former sheriff; Sir Patrick de Cogan; Sir Gilbert Cole; Michael de Rupe (Roche); Henry de Capella (later Supple); Henry de Rydesfford.
The Coles were the family who left their name in Ballincollig and Ballincolly. The surname Ridesfford, later became corrupted into Rochford; whence Rochfordstown, Co. Cork.
The Instrument of 1389 is witnessed by Master John Carrik, Official of Cashel; Thomas Snell, Vicar of Fydarthe (Fethard, Co. Tipperary), John Yonge, Notary Public ‘by apostolic authority’; and John Galvy (Galway) and Patrick Galvy, Burgesses of Kinsale.
The “Official” was the judge of the Diocesan court.
With certification and notarial sign of William de [Putton], Cleric of Lichfield diocese, Notary Public by apostolic and imperial authority.
Notaries Public played an important role in Roman and Canon Law procedure. They were appointed either by Papal authority alone, or by both the Papacy and the Holy Roman Emperor. Each had his sign by which as here, he authenticated the document.
3. 20 July 1471
(Johannes) Decree of a provincial synod of Cashel held at Clonmel on the complaint of John Northon, O.S.B. the proctor of the monastery of Bath at Waterford, against Cormack Maccarthy, who has committed damage to the property of the monastery at Balynllegan (Legan, now Monkstown, Co. Cork). The synod decrees that unless Cormack makes reparation for the damages within twelve days, he should incur excommunication. Description follows:
Record of a provincial council held in the parish church of Clonmel on 17 July 1471 by John [Cantwell], Archbishop of Cashel, Robert [Poer], Bishop of Lismore and Waterford, and Gerald [FitzRichard, Geraldine] Bishop of Cork and Cloyne.
Brother John Northon, a monk of the Benedictine Order at Bath, England, appeared before the Council as Proctor of the Prior and Convent of Bath, Rectors of the church of Kinsale, with the complaint that Cormac son of Tadeus son of Cormac Macarthy (Cormac macTaidhg, Lord of Muskerry 1461-95) had, contrary to the liberties of the church, occupied a town called Baly In Legan (Legan, now Monkstown) belonging to Bath Priory. Since it was proven by testimony and by documents that that town belonged to the Prior and Convent of Bath, and that neither Cormac nor any other temporal Lord had any right to impose on it burdens, exactions or tributes, by whatever name they might be called, he is ordered to desist within twelve days, failing which he and his accomplices would be excommunicated, to be proclaimed publicly at Mass. If he and they ignored this, then after another twelve days all his localities, lordships and lands, his subjects, servants, and tenants, would be laid under interdict.
Interdict involved the suspension of all religious services, including the sacraments.
Originally the document had attached the three seals of the archbishop and bishops, but only the seal-tags remain. It exhibits the extreme repetitiveness characteristic of legal proceedings under Canon Law.
Its particular interest is that it shows that the MacCarthys of Muskerry had tried to take over the barony of Kerrycurrihy, which the Earls of Desmond had acquired from the Cogans in 1439, during the disputed Desmond succession following the execution of Earl Thomas in 1467. They succeeded in doing so, during another Desmond succession dispute, for a few years following 1535.