Exhibiting the Written Word is a report produced by the Making Our Connections project team with the support of the Arts and Humanities Research Council. Exhibiting the Written Word considers how exhibiting books and manuscripts differ from the display of art and museum artefacts. The report outlines the challenges:
- book formats were not (usually) created to be shown in glass cases
- displaying a single page freezes something that was meant to be read as a sequence
- the question of displaying text, as opposed to exhibitions based on other kinds of objects
- the display and interpretation of different kinds of texts
- the library as opposed to the gallery as a site for exhibitions
- collaborative exhibitions — working with communities and people from other sectors; the drivers and stakeholders that influence the process
- evaluating exhibitions.