Special Collections, UCC Library holds a number of distinct collections of Gaelic Manuscripts. The largest of these, the Torna Collection (111 MSS), formed the collection of Prof. Tadhg Ó Donnchadha (Torna), Prof. of Irish at UCC (1916-1944). This collection came into the possession of UCC following the death of Torna in 1949 and has been catalogued by Prof. Pádraig de Brún in Clár Lamhscríbhinní Gaeilge Choláiste Ollscoile Chorcaí: Cnuasach Thorna (1967).
Seventy-seven manuscripts formed the collection of Professor James E.H. Murphy, Professor of Irish at Trinity College Dublin (1896-1919). A catalogue of this collection has been compiled by Dr Breandán Ó Conchuir: Clár Lamhscríbhinní Gaeilge Choláiste Ollscoile Chorcai: Cnuasach Uí Mhurchú (1991).
Most of the remaining manuscripts belonged to Canon Patrick Power, Lecturer in and later Prof. of Archaeology at University College Cork (1915-1932).
Highlights from the UCC Collection include a version of Geoffrey Keating’s Foras Feasa ar Éirinn in a 17th-century hand (Ls 92).
The objective of Irish Script on Screen (ISOS) is to create digital images of Irish manuscripts, and to make these images, together with relevant commentary, available online. UCC Library is delighted to participate in ISOS and in doing so providing access some of our most important heritage collections.
Ls 92 is a 17th century paper manuscript. This map of Ireland is bound in between f123 and f124.
Caption: Ls 92 f.[123a]r