Special Collections holds the following types of collections:
- Manuscripts: Gaelic Irish, English and other languages
- Maps: estate maps, ordnance survey, city plans
- Older Printed Books: books from 1476 - 1850 covering subjects such as theology, sciences and history.
- Newspapers: available on microfilm and in bound volumes.
- Prints: Topographical Prints
- Named Collections: collections donated by individuals
- Collections on a theme: Munster Printing, Transmissions and Transformations of the Ancient World, Humour
- Collections from Printing Presses: Attic Press, Cork University Press, Cuala Press, Dolmen Press, Three Candles Press
- Theses: Masters theses to 2013; PhD theses
Check with Special Collections staff for the finding aid for manuscripts on microfilm and the finding aid for paper manuscripts.
Selected Gaelic Irish manuscripts are available on Irish Script on Screen.These include Cín Lae Uí Mhealláin which is an account of the Irish Confederate Wars (1641 – 1647) written by Tarlach Ó Mealláin, OFM.
View the list of newspaper holdings.